As with beef, when buying lamb I look for grass fed, grass finished, free of pesticides, chemical treatments, hormones & antibiotics.
TIP: range-fed lamb does not mean it’s grass fed or organic
If lamb is grass fed, but finished on grain it causes the Omega-3 levels to decrease dramatically. 100% grass fed lamb is superior and has more Conjugated Linoleic Acid, known as CLA. The best source of CLA is from grass fed meats and fats. CLA from grass fed meat is 3-5 times higher than feedlot meats.
Eating foods unmodified and raised/cooked in traditional ways has brought better health and a deeper appreciation/enjoyment of food to our family. Real food raised in a natural way just tastes so much better!
Tips for cooking grass fed lamb
- don’t thaw in the microwave (actually, always avoid microwaves)
- make sure meat is at room temperature before cooking
- preheat oven or pan before cooking
- be careful not to overcook which is the main reason meat becomes tough (meat still cooks after being removed from a heat source so i always leave it a little less done than i want.)
- grass fed lamb is best medium to rare but if you like your meat well done be sure to cook slowly at low temperatures
- stove top cooking is an easy/fast way to have a lot of control of the meat and how it cooks.
This lamb is from New Zealand which is where grass fed lamb is more widely produced.
Icelandic lamb is my absolute favorite though where the sheep spend year round maturing in the pristine countryside where the air and water are not tainted by pollution. the season it sells is short and coming up very soon (September through early December) and can be found at Whole Foods. Pesticides and herbicides are seldom used in Iceland where the climate naturally protects the land. All in all, Icelandic lambs are amazingly robust and live in an idyllic, geographically isolated country’ whose strict agriculture regulations protect the integrity of the lamb you are buying. Check out: The Tender Story Of Icelandic Lamb
(The meat has a fine grain and distinct, delicate flavor. The meat of Icelandic sheep is considered a gourmet style of meat.)
grass fed lamb steaks
- Heat up a stainless steel pan and add coconut oi.
- Once oil is hot reduce heat to medium and add in your lamb steaks. Once you get the meat cooked 1/2 way reduce to a low heat.
- Season the top side with your rosemary, cinnamon and black pepper.
- When you flip and season the other side.
- After it's cook to your liking you can sprinkle with sea salt to intensify the flavors. (optional)
Be sure not to overcook.