I won’t lie, this recipe takes preparation and can be messy so make it when you have time and patience. The flavors mesh perfectly and I guarantee though, you’ll be glad you tried it! Too bad we can’t have some one deliver one of these! Cauliflower crust is guilt free and great for any of us with allergies, families with dietary restrictions or those with an itch for change. This is a cheeseless version as I’ve been avoiding dairy, but the crust will be amazing with any toppings you like.
I made this version with onions, spinach, and sugar-free beef bacon. In the past I’ve made mini pies with garlic and clams. Let the kitchen be a source for creativity.
365 organic tomato basil sauce
1 head cauliflower
2 egg whites
coconut flour (tropical traditions)
1 med-large onion
2/3 cup spinach
1/2 cup bacon bits (I use sugar free beef bacon from uswellness)
Italian seasoning (oregano, marjoram, thyme, basil, rosemary, sage)
crushed black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Rinse and prepare cauliflower into a rice-like texture. You can finely shred in a food processor or grate by hand.
- Put cauliflower "rice" in a large pot and steam till soft. Set aside and let cool.
- Take ~3 strips of (beef) bacon, cook and shred into little bits.
- Cook spinach and warm up your sauce.
- Cut onion into rings and fry till soft and caramelized.
- Take your cooled down cauliflower and add spices, eggs whites and spoonful of coconut flour to bind it. Mix and separate into even portions.
- Place parchment paper on a baking sheet. Mold each portion into a pie crust on your paper and place into hot oven.
- Cook crust for 15 minutes or until it feels firm (it will depend on how thick you make the pies and how wet the cauliflower is.)
- Take out of oven and add warm sauce and layer your toppings. I start with spinach, then onions, and then bacon.
If you wish you can reheat your pie in the oven before serving.
These are very satisfying and filling so you may even enjoy some for leftovers. Just refrigerate and reheat in the oven the next day. Enjoy!