Instead of cake we had donuts…paleo vanilla donuts that can be dressed up or left plain because they taste just as good. Happy Birthday to my wonderful mom! She’s a strong woman with a soft heart and…just the best. I love how she’s not afraid to be silly, and her terribly awesome singing throughout the years.
Terribly Awesome: When something is so bad, and the negative qualities of a subject are so abundant that they somehow make it really really awesome.
Recently with college classes starting up again and work piling on, I need recipes that are really easy and quick. This past weekend for a movie-night-get-together my donut baking pan was put to good use. These bake in 15 minutes, and can be prepared in 5. I am curious to make a bagel version in the future with garlic and topped with sauce (inspired by Diane!). My friend Diane is great at coming up with new twists and ideas for recipes. After a few test drives with these vanilla donuts, I came up with a recipe that keeps them fluffy and moist. It’s light on the ingredients and yummy for the taste buds. So far it’s mom, dad, brother, friend and dog approved.
This is a very simple vanilla flavored cake-like donut. Works well as a base for more fancy versions. (grain, sugar, and nut free)
1/2 cup coconut flour
2 tsp butter (or coconut oil)
stevia (between 1/2 -1 tsp)
pinch of sea salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp Bragg's apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (alcohol-free)
1 cup water
- Grease donut pan.
- Sift coconut flour and mix well with the rest of the dry ingredients.
- Cut in butter or oil. (knead in well until butter is in tiny pieces throughout the mixture)
- Add in eggs and ACV. Add in a cup of water and mix well. The dough should be very soft and moist, yet firm enough to be pickup up with your hands.
- Distribute evenly into a 6 mold donut pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until firm.